West Jordan Middle School General Information
SCHOOL TELEPHONE NUMBERS
Main Office: 801-412-2100
- Main Office hours: 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Class hours:
- Monday – Thursday: 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Friday: 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
* Bus transportation will take place as a late start.
* Breakfast and lunch will still be provided on Fridays.
- Summer hours: 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. (payments accepted until 2:40 p.m.)
BIKES, SKATEBOARDS, and SCOOTERS
Students may ride bikes, skateboards, and scooters to and from school. When a student enters the school grounds they must walk their bike or pick up their skateboard and scooter. If students use these items as transportation to school, we require them to be locked in the bike rack in the back of the building. Students who ride skateboards will be required to store them in a designated area. We highly recommend that students lock up or secure these items due to possible theft. The school is not responsible for these items if lost, stolen, or broken.
WJMS will be issuing Chromebooks to all students through the library. This checkout is free for students. Parents will need to sign the Chromebook User Agreement prior to Chromebook checkout. These are HP Chromebooks and the students can use them throughout the day in school as well as bring them home. They are filtered to give you peace of mind when they are working unsupervised after school and in the evenings. Like other library materials – If they are lost, stolen or broken, the student is responsible for the cost of repair or replacement. Currently, the Chromebooks’ replacement cost starts at $200.
- Please print, complete, and return the Locker Use Agreement to receive a locker assignment.
- Each Student, may upon request, be assigned a locker that you will have access to after school fees are paid.
- DO NOT GIVE OUT YOUR LOCKER COMBINATION TO ANYONE!
- Sharing lockers is not recommended.
- Do not use any marker inside or out of your locker.
- Fees will be added to your account if your locker is damaged.
- Do not leave anything in your locker that you don’t mind not getting back if we close again.
- All students will receive and be required to wear a WJMS shirt and shorts. This is included in the $10 class fee. Fees will be waived for students on a fee waiver. Refunds are not given for multiple P.E. classes. Black leggings and sweats are available, but will be an additional charge.
- Dance and yoga students will receive WJMS shirt and leggings or shorts as part of their class fee.
- Non-marking gym shoes should be worn daily to P.E. class.
- Each student will be provided a P.E. locker and lock to use for the semester. All personal items must fit in the gym locker during class.
- Personal hygiene supplies including deodorant (no aerosol cans or glass containers) and a towel are important to use regularly. Showering at school is not required.
- For safety concerns, no jewelry should be worn during P.E. Earring studs are okay but no spikes.
STUDENT CLASS SCHEDULE
Any questions regarding a class schedule will need to be discussed with the counseling center. The counselors will be able to help with any concerns. Please call 801-412-2115, or email your counselor directly.
School pictures will be taken at the beginning of the school year on September 6th. Retakes will take place October 17th. All students will have their picture taken for the PTSA Memory Book and for the activity card free of charge. Picture packets will be available to purchase through Lifetouch.
Information regarding Transportation can be found at jordandistrict.org > Parents & Students > Boundaries & Bus Stops. This website will help determine if the student can ride the school bus.
If your student does not qualify to ride the bus you may pick up a Transportation Request form from the Attendance Office approximately three weeks after school starts to grant those according to space availability.
AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITIES
West Jordan has a robust afterschool program with dozens of opportunities for students to participate in social experiences, academic enrichment, athletics, and tutoring.
Students must have a permission slip signed by a guardian to indicate that they are able to participate in afterschool activities.
Students must check-in for their afterschool activity by 3:05pm in the Cafeteria (North East doors). There will be a snack served in the cafeteria. Students must clean-up and be in an activity no later than 3:10pm.
WJMS closes at 3PM. Any students in the building after 3:00PM must be where teachers can supervise them at all times. Students may not be wandering the halls or loitering outside the building. If students leave the building, they cannot come back in for any reason.
All students participating in after-school activities MUST be out of the building and off campus by 4:55 PM.
If students are involved in an incident or repeatedly fail to meet these expectations during after school activities, they will be placed on a list of students that are not allowed to participate for the rest of the school year.
Trespassing tickets may be issued to students who refuse to leave or hide-out from school officials.
West Jordan Middle School has a variety of student groups that you can get involved in. We want our students to develop a sense of belonging and provide leadership to the school. Most of the groups are open to any grade level, but some are limited to ninth grade students. We encourage students to get involved in groups or attend our after-school activities.
STUDENT BODY OFFICERS
After passing a rigorous screening process, the WJMS Student Body Officers are elected by their peers to represent our school and be leaders in all that they do. Being a student body officer requires that each student has at least a 3.0-grade point average in both academics and citizenship. The SBOs assist in daily video announcements, raise and lower the flag daily, host dances, assemblies, activities, and lunch-time games. Some of these school-wide events include Red Ribbon Week, Spirit Week, College Week, and the end of year carnival.
Student Ambassadors is a leadership group that promotes social skills throughout the school. Each month Ambassadors host events to get students engaged. Some examples include: teaching classroom lessons, hosting assemblies, showing new students around the building, planning lunchroom activities, & teaming up with Utah Valley University to foster “Kombat with Kindness.” There is an application in the Counseling Center that needs to be filled out if the student is interested in participating.
NATIONAL JUNIOR HONOR SOCIETY
NJHS is a leadership group that focuses on leading out through service. Members are involved with leadership training, socials, field trips, and service projects. NJHS is a nationally chartered organization and is open to 9th graders who have a 3.5 cumulative grade point average and no N’s or U’s in citizenship. NJHS members will also work with the SBOs to help with school functions.